Man boobs, man breasts, moobs – or whatever you care to call them – can be the unfortunate symptoms of a medical condition known as gynecomastia.
In most cases, though, it is simply a consequence of being overweight. If you are obese, it is highly likely that fatty tissue has accumulated in your chest area. This fat is now covering your pectoral muscles.
To lose man boobs the natural way and in the fastest way possible; you need to do all of the following:
- Control your diet
- Perform regular cardio or aerobic exercises
- Weight Training (focusing on your chest)
Adhere to the above three tasks over a sustained period of time, and you will reduce your man boobs at the fastest rate your body will allow.
If you have man boobs due to being overweight, you’re likely to have excess fat in other areas of your body – like the belly and back. If you take positive action, your body will benefit with an overall reduction of body fat, as well as reducing fat on your chest area. Remember, you cannot spot-reduce fat from specific areas of the body.
Let’s analyze each part of your man-boob busting regime:
1. Diet To Lose Man Boobs
Taking control of your diet not only benefits your health but will also form a key part in your battle to lose man boobs.
You will need to:
- Reduce your sugar intake
- Control your carbohydrate intake
Why Sugary Foods Are Bad For You
Try and get into the habit of avoiding foods with a high sugar content.
The reason is that simple sugars plays havoc with your body. Soon after eating them, your pancreas secretes insulin to reduce the level of sugar in your blood. This surge of insulin, however, ‘tells your body’ that there is a plentiful supply of energy immediately available, and that it should stop burning fat.
Your blood sugar levels slowly begin to drop, but tend to fall too low, leaving you feeling lethargic and hungry. Result: you feel like eating something – perhaps a sugary snack – and the whole process begins again.
Any excess sugars that are not used by your body will later be converted to fat and stored as adipose tissue. If you are not fit and not exercising – your muscles don’t require that much energy (glucose), so any significant amounts of sugar you consume, will end up as fat on your waistline.
Be aware of the following simple sugars that are present in food and drinks – and reduce your consumption of them:
- sucrose, maltose, dextrose, fructose, and glucose.
Carbs – Good and Bad
You need carbohydrates as your primary source of energy to fuel your muscles – so we are talking carb management, not carb elimination.
Certain carbs are quickly converted by your body into glucose and absorbed into the blood stream causing insulin spikes. These are bad carbs, commonly known as white carbs – and are the types you should avoid eating in large quantities e.g. white pasta, potatoes, white bread, and white rice.
Good carbs are those that are absorbed slowly by your body, thus avoid typical spikes in blood sugar levels. Good carbs come from foods that have a significant fiber content, and you should aim to eat more of them. e.g. fruit, vegetables, whole grain breads, whole grain pasta, and bean products.
As you will be doing regular exercise – you won’t have to go to extremes with the diet; just make reasonable cuts in your consumption of sugars and bad carbs. Over time, you will reap the benefits as your body expends more calories than what it takes in, and the layers of fat will start to strip away.
2. Cardio – Best Exercises To Get Rid of Man Boobs
Cardiovascular or aerobic exercises are ones that work the heart and lungs, and are a key part of an effective fat-burning regime. Before you even think about starting cardio exercises – make sure your current health has been assessed by your doctor, and whether rigorous exercise could have any detrimental effect to your wellbeing.
If you are in a position to move forward – then look to cardio exercises to get rid of man boobs.
If you are starting a fitness regimen after a significant period of inactivity, then avoid running. It is one of the best exercises for burning calories, but one of the most demanding on your body – especially if you are not very fit.
Two good reasons why you should avoid running when totally unfit:
- To avoid over-stressing your cardiovascular system and to reduce the risk of injuries – mainly to the knee joints, shins, calf muscles and feet.
- The need to keep a positive mindset, psychologically. If you run before your body is ready, you may get de-motivated as your heart and lungs will work very hard and inefficiently … and it will hurt.
There are alternative exercises that you can do at the gym to build up your fitness levels; they also have the benefit of being low-impact and easier on the joints:
- Rowing on the seated rowing machine
- Cycling on the stationary bike
- Walking using the elliptical machine
- Performing steps on the Stepper machine
Do these exercises until your cardiovascular system becomes more efficient and your legs get stronger. In the gym, perform leg extensions and leg press exercises to increase muscle around the knee joints – which in turn gives stability to the knees. Don’t forget to do leg-curls to improve hamstring strength.
After a few weeks, your body will be more conditioned – then move onto running on the treadmill, or outdoors.
There are two ways to approach cardio exercise:
- Low intensity, slower paced but for longer periods – ideal if you’re not very fit. Good for beginners – you can slowly build up your fitness/cardiovascular levels. Disadvantages – long periods of low intensity walking, running, cycling can get boring and mundane if done in the gym.
- High Intensity Interval Training - Try this strategy when you have reached a better level of fitness. It involves shorter bursts of intense exercise mixed with periods of slower paced exercise. But you must go all out during the intense periods, your near-maximum effort is required to get the most fitness and calorie-burning benefits.
High Intensity Example:
- Choose an exercise.
- Following your warm-up period, perform five to eight repetitions of high intensity exercise, separated by periods of low-medium intensity (25-50% effort).
- Finish with a cool down period of low intensity.
Your metabolism will remain higher for longer even after you have finished exercising – meaning you will burn more calories even while resting! The problem with low intensity cardio is once you stop, your body also stops burning calories.
3. Chest Workouts
The more muscle tissue you have in your chest area, the firmer and more toned it will become. Losing the chest fat AND replacing it with muscle is the best way to get rid of man boobs.
Machines or Free Weights?
How are you going to train your chest muscles? Will you use machines, free-weights or a combination of the two? A combination of the two is a good strategy, but free-weights should be your long-term method of choice.
If you’re just beginning a fitness program, machines can be useful to achieve initial gains in strength. Machines have an easier learning curve, are very safe and force you into using proper form while executing each repetition. As your arms and chest muscles get stronger, you will be more confident when the time comes to move onto free weights.
The disadvantages of machines are that they are fixed, and they lock you into one plane of motion, so your stabilizing muscles don’t really come into play. Also your body can adapt quickly to machines and so you won’t progress if you rely on them totally.
If there are only machines available at your gym, then use them – they’re better than nothing. However you need to use free weights to work the chest properly, so eventually you should look for a gym that has a good selection of dumbbells, barbells and benches.
Exercises To Get Rid Of Man Boobs
To lose man boobs the fastest way possible, you should be looking to train your chest twice a week, performing a variety of exercises to hit the pecs from different angles.
It may be preferable, however – if you are lacking in strength – to train the chest once a week, for the first 3-4 weeks. This longer rest period will allow your muscles to recover fully from the inevitable muscle soreness that will occur when starting a strength training program.
Training Day 1
Warm up your chest with 3-4 sets of push ups, to get the blood flowing into the muscles.
If you find push ups too difficult or they strain your wrists, then do 3-4 light sets of cable
1. Perform 3-4 sets of flat bench presses or machine presses
- If using a barbell – you can vary the hand position to target the inner and outer chest. Close hand grip will focus effort onto the inner pecs while a wider hand grip will shift the focus to the outer areas of the chest.
2. Perform 3-4 sets of incline presses or incline machine presses
- Set the angle of the bench to around 45 degrees. Incline presses will work the upper pecs and are an excellent training technique to address what is usually an underdeveloped area of the male physique.
- A lot of guys will concentrate on flat pressing exercises which mainly work the lower and middle area of the chest. You should be looking to improve the whole chest and from an aesthetic point of view you have more chance of achieving a fully rounded balanced-looking chest if you also target the upper pectorals.
3. Perform 3-4 sets of Pec Deck Flys
- To finish the workout, perform these to get a good contraction and stretch in the muscles. When bringing your arms together, the trick is to focus on moving the elbows rather than your hands.
- Perform each rep slowly and in a controlled manner.
Allow 3-4 days rest before training your chest again.
Training Day 2
For the second workout, focus on dumbbell exercises. Dumbbells provide a greater range of motion and will also help to correct any imbalance in strength that may exist between the left and right pectorals.
1. Perform 3 sets of flat dumbbell presses
- On a flat bench, grab two dumbbells of a weight you can manage. Lie down, holding the dumbbells directly over the middle area of your chest.
- Inhale and bring them down to your sides, press back up, exhaling as you do. Repeat with as many reps as you can.
2. Perform 3 sets of incline dumbbell flys
- Set the bench to angle between 30-45 degrees. With light dumbbells in each hand and your arms extended in a vertical position, let the arms come down to the horizontal.
- Keep the elbows bent and then raise your arms again back to the vertical position, exhaling as you go.
3. Perform 3 sets of incline dumbbell presses
- Sit on the incline bench with an angle of 45-60 degrees. Grab the dumbbells with an overhand grip while keeping your elbows bent and arms out to the side.
- From this position, extend the arms vertically, and bring the dumbbells together, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows.
- Squeeze your pecs at the top position but don’t keep the dumbbells there for too long, so that you keep tension on the chest. Repeat for as many reps as possible.
4. Perform 3 sets of cable crossovers
- Stand in between a cable/pulley machine. Grab the handles, step forward a couple of paces and let your torso lean slightly forward. With your elbows bent you should feel a stretch in your chest.
- From this starting position, squeeze your elbows together while bringing the hands towards eachother. Your hands should be fairly loose and your pecs in tension. Perform a few reps so the muscles get pumped.
- You can change the height at which your hands come together such that the pecs will work at slightly different angles and recruit all the fibers of the chest.
Follow the above program for 3-6 months. You can vary the number of sets and increase the weight as you progress. Try not to skip a workout - being consistent is a key part in getting rid of man boobs. Build some momentum and you will see then fade away as your pectoral development accelerates.